Updating the firmware (embedded software) of a 2271A pressure controller is very easy and only requires a USB cable, a computer with a USB port and the firmware file(s).
Download the zip file from the link at the bottom of this page that is named 2271A v101 USB.zip
1. On the 2271A go to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <Remote Port>,
<USB Setup> screen and verify that "RS232 Emulation" is set to "OFF". This will enable you to drag and drop the firmware file(s) from your computer to the 2271A.
2. Connect the USB cable to the computer and to the back panel USB connector on the 2271A.
3. The computer should recognize the 2271A as an external drive and assign it a drive letter (just like an external USB drive or a USB flash drive).
4. Unzip the downloaded file to view the three firmware files; 2271A_main, script2271, and 2271A_gui. Copy those three files to another folder on your computer (sometimes files don't transfer well from a zipped folder, from a network drive, or from an external USB drive).
They will show something like this on your computer screen
5. Drag and drop (or copy and paste) the three files; 2271A_main, script2271 and 2271A_gui from your computer to the drive letter of the 2271A. The copy will be quick so there will likely be no visible confirmation. If you are prompted that a file(s) already exists overwrite the existing file.
6. Wait at least 1 minute, then turn off the 2271A controller by the main power switch on the back panel. Leave it off for one minute then turn it back on.
7. Wait for it to completely power up to the main screen then go to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <About This Instrument> screen and verify that "Revision" numbers are correct (see additional notes regarding the current versions below). Press <Exit> to return to the main screen.
8. Turn the controller off again for 5 seconds, then turn it back on again and repeat step 7
9. If you communicate with the controller by a USB COM port go back to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <Remote Port>, <USB Setup> screen and change the "RS232 Emulation" back to "ON".
The 2271A Operators Manual and Programmers Manual can be downloaded from this page,
Last updated 6-September-2017 with main firmware version 1.01
End of Instructions