To use the MET/TEAM Email Alerting feature, you will first need to set it up. To start, you will need to gather your SMTP Server settings, which your IT group can provide. You will also need to know the MET/TEAM reporting directories. A default installation of MET/TEAM has these locations for the Custom Reports and System Reports directories on the application server, respectively:
Once you have the required information, you need to edit your System Defaults.
1) Log into MET/TEAM as a user with administrator or configuration rights.
2) Go to Configure -> System Defaults
3) Activate and configure the following System Defaults with the correct values (definitions for them can be found within their respective notes fields).
- Reports - Default Reports directory
- Reports - Default System directory
Note that you can use any FromAddress and FromName that you wish, but if there is no inbox set up, then you will not be able to monitor any replies unless you specify your email in the Alerts.GlobalCC system default.
After configuring the System Defaults, you should create a test alert to verify the settings.
1) Go to Setup -> Contacts and create a Contact record for yourself, if you do not have one already. Make sure the Email 1 field has a valid email address within it.
2) Go to Reports -> Alerting Schedules, and click Add to create a new alert.
3) In the New Schedule Alert screen, set up the fields like the below screenshot and save the record. The ActiveTypes.rpt is nice to use as a test report because it is relatively simple and small, requires zero parameters, and you only need at least one active type record in your database for it to generate successfully.
4) After saving the alert, add yourself to the Contacts grid on the right.
5) Add a schedule to the alert. Set the schedule's period to Daily, and the Hour/Minute to just a few minutes from the current time. For example, if it is currently noon, set the schedule to be 12:05.
6) If everything is set up correctly, you should receive an email in your inbox shortly after the Next Run time that contains a report showing all of your active types!
If you did not receive an email after 15 minutes past the Next Run time, then the email might have failed to send and you need to troubleshoot.
- Firstly, refresh the Schedule Alert form. Has the Next Run incremented from today to tomorrow? If not, then the email alerting engine service did not process the alert, which may mean its connection string or permissions to the database is incorrect, or the service is not turned on.
- Try running the ActiveTypes.rpt report by hand from the Custom Reports menu and see if it generates successfully with actual data. The alert engine does not mail out empty reports, so if the report is empty when ran manually, you probably have no type records in the database.
- Verify the email address for the contact record you associated with the alert.
- If the issue is still not resolved, check the alerting log file. It is located on the application server under the %TEMP% directory for the application's user account. With a default installation, MET/TEAM's application user is Local Service, which means the file can be located at C:\Windows\Temp\alerting-log.txt. If you have changed its user from Local Service to some other account, you will have to check that account's %TEMP% directory.
- See this article for additional troubleshooting information... Advanced Troubleshooting of the Email Alerting Service