Updating the firmware (embedded software) of a 6270A pressure controller is very easy and only requires a USB cable, a computer with a USB port and the firmware file(s).
Note that if you operate more than one 6270A controller in stacked mode, they must be updated independently and directly (not while in stacked mode).
If you prefer to update by 9-pin RS232 cable then see this article,
6270A firmware update instructions, by 9-pin RS232 cable
Download the zip file from the link at the bottom of this page that is named 6270A v1.05 USB.zip
1. On the 6270A go to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <Remote Port>,
<USB Setup> screen and verify that "RS232 Emulation" is set to "OFF". This will enable you to drag and drop the firmware file(s) from your computer to the 6270A.
2. Connect the USB cable to the computer and to the back panel USB connector on the 6270A.
3. The computer should recognize the 6270A as an external drive and assign it a drive letter (just like an external USB drive or a USB flash drive).
4. Unzip the downloaded file to view the five firmware files; 6270A_main, script6270, checksum, 6270A_gui and 6270pcm.img. Copy those files to another folder on your computer (sometimes files don't transfer well from a zipped folder, from a network drive, or from an external USB drive).
They will show something like this on your computer screen
5. Drag and drop (or copy and paste) the five files; 6270A_main, script6270, checksum, 6270A_gui and 6270pcm.img from your computer to the drive letter of the 6270A. The copy will be quick so there will likely be no visible confirmation. If you are prompted that a file(s) already exists overwrite the existing file.
6. Wait at least 1 minute, then turn off the 6270A controller by the main power switch on the back panel. Leave it off for one minute then turn it back on.
A screen will come up that shows that the firmware is updating. A blue status bar will fill as the update progresses. The status of each component (main, gui) will also show a status. Gui 1 will show before Gui 2. PCM status may or may not show.
If everything passes, the update screen will go away to the main 6270A screen.
If something fails "VERIFY FAILED" will be that component's status and this screen will remain. Repeat step 6 again to see if the update will work.
7. Wait for it to completely power up to the main screen then go to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <About This Instrument> screen and verify that "Revision" is correct (see additional notes regarding the current versions below). Press <Exit> to return to the main screen.
Check that the Control Module firmware has been updated to version 1.01 on the Setup --> Diagnostic --> Control screen also. It is shown at the bottom-right.
8. Turn the controller off again for 5 seconds, then turn it back on again and repeat step 7
9. If you communicate with the controller by a USB COM port go back to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <Remote Port>, <USB Setup> screen and change the "RS232 Emulation" back to "ON". Make sure that "Remote IF" is set to "Computer". If set to "Terminal" every command that you send will be echoed back.
The 6270A Operators Manual and the Programmers Manual were updated with new features and commands of the new firmware (as of May 2016). Manuals can be downloaded from this page,
Last updated 26-September-2017. See this web page for 6270A firmware change log although it is not updated as quickly as this web page, flukecal.com/literature/software-downloads/firmware/6270a-embedded-software
Do not download the firmware from the flukecal.com web page if the change log on that page does not show the version numbers in the above image, Revision 1.05 (Main) and User Interface 1.01 (GUI). Download the zip file from this web page instead
End of Instructions