We have seen some instances where the firmware upgrade to V1.02 (main) results in a memory corruption causing the 6270A to not retain user settings, and the serial number is reset to 0. If this memory corruption occurs before the upgrade to V1.03 it remains and these steps must be performed to fix the memory issue.
The resolution is loading the attached file and script file, which clears the memory. After loading these files, you can reset the serial number and user settings.
Loading these files are just like the software upgrade.
**Note - You will lose any programs that are stored.
1. On the 6270A go to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <Remote Port>,
<USB Setup> screen and verify that "Remote IF" is set to "Computer", and "RS232 Emulation" set to "OFF". This will enable you to drag and drop the firmware file(s) from your computer to the 6270A.
2. Connect the USB cable to the computer and to the back panel USB connector on the 6270A.
3. The computer should recognize the 6270A as an external drive and assign it a drive letter (just like an external USB drive or a USB flash drive).
4. Download the clearperm and script6270 files from the links at the bottom of this page to your computer. Open that file location so you can see the files in Windows Explorer or My Computer. They will show something like this on your computer screen
5. Drag and drop (or copy and paste) the clearperm and script6270 files from your computer to the drive letter of the 6270A. The copy will be quick so there will likely be no visible confirmation. If you are prompted that a file(s) already exists overwrite the existing file.
6. Wait at least 1 minute, then turn off the 6270A controller by the main power switch on the back panel. Leave it off for one minute then turn it back on.
7. Wait for it to completely power up to the main screen then go to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <About This Instrument> screen and verify that "Revision" is still correct. Press <Exit> to return to the main screen.
8. If you want to update the firmware, see this article for instructions and firmware version history, 6270A firmware update instructions
9. If you communicate with the controller by a USB COM port go back to the <Setup>, <Instrument Setup>, <Remote Port>, <USB Setup> screen and change the "Remote IF" back to "Terminal" and "RS232 Emulation" back to "ON".
If you need to reset the serial number, see this article 6270A Serial Number Reset (also 2271A, 8270A/8370A)