Thermocouples are broadly used in many industrial and scientific applications
due to their low cost, wide temperature ranges, high temperature limits, and availability in
many types and sizes. This is the first of four application notes on thermocouples:
1. Thermocouple fundamentals
2. How to select thermocouple calibration equipment
3. Calculating uncertainties in a thermocouple calibration system
4. How to calibrate a thermocouple
This application note covers:
1. What is a thermocouple?
2. How does a thermocouple work?
3. Why do thermocuoples need to be calibrated?